Dr. Murat Doğruel
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Marmara University, Faculty of Engineering, office: MC476
Goztepe, 34722 İstanbul, Turkey.
Phone: +90 216 418 2357 ext. 1655, Fax: +90 216 348 0293
e-mail: mdogruel <at> marmara . edu . tr
Assistant Professor, Marmara University, School of Engineering between November 1995 and November 1998.
Vice Head of Electronics Eng. Dept. from February 1996 to July 1997.
Second Lieutenant and Faculty Member, Turkish Air Force Academy from August 1996 to July 1997.
Associate Professor, Marmara University, School of Engineering since November 1998.
Visiting Associate Professor at University of Miami, August 2001 to June 2003.
Associate Dean, Marmara University, School of Engineering December 2004 to August 2006, and April 2009 to August 2009.
Full Professor, Marmara University, School of Engineering since January 2005.
Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, International University of Sarajevo, September 2006 to June 2008.
Visiting Professor at Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, Faculty of Electrical Engineering July 2013 to September 2013.
Head of Electronics Engineering Department, August 1997 to August 2001; July 2003 to August 2006; September 2008 to September 2014; December 2015 to September 2017.
Dean of Faculty of Engineering, Marmara University, September 2014 July 2017.
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
Ph.D. (1995), Electrical Engineering.
M.S. (1992), Electrical Engineering.
İstanbul Technical University, İstanbul, Turkey.
B.S. (1988), Electronics and Communication Engineering
For the book Electrical Circuits, James W. Nilsson & Susan A. Riedel, Int. Ed. 11, the Practical Perspective part on Sensors (Ch. 5) is written, May 2018.
For the book Feedback Control of Dynamical Systems, G.F. Franklin, J.D. Powell, A. Emani-Naeini, Int. Ed. 8, the Problem Solutions are reviewed, Sept. 2018.
Turkish National Delegate for Horizon 2020 FET PC since 2017.
Appointed as the Representative of Turkish Higher Education Council for Turkish Qualifications Authority (MYK) Electrical and Electronics Sector Committee 2013-2015.
Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers since 2003.
Invited by Dutch Institute of Systems and Control (DISC) to Eindhoven University of Technology for a research project on matrix set stability from March 19th to March 26th, 1996.
Invited by Ohio State University, Center for Intelligent Transportation Research (CITR) for 2 weeks in July 1998.
Participated to NATO ASI System Level Synthesis meeting in Italy for 10 days in August 1998.
Invited by Praxis Instruments Inc. to Houston, Texas for a SCADA project for Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Doha, Qatar, and involved in the design work for 3 weeks in July 1999.
Invited to Doha, Qatar for a site visit to observe the project in September 1999.
List of Publications
Thesis and Dissertation:
1. M. Dogruel, ``Discrete State Control Systems,'' M.S. Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Eng., The Ohio State University, 77 pages, June 1992.
2. M. Dogruel, ``Description, Analysis and Control Design of Discrete State and Hybrid Systems, Ph.D. Dissertation, 155 pages, The Ohio State University, Summer 1995.
1. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, Modeling and Stability Issues in Hybrid Systems,'' Hybrid Systems II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 999, pp. 148-165, Springer Verlag, 1995.
2. M. Dogruel, S. Drakunov and Ü. Özgüner, Sliding Mode Control in Discrete State and Hybrid Systems,'' IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 414-419, March 1996.
3. M. Dogruel, Hybrid State Stability Analysis,'' Istanbul Technical University Bulletin, vol. 49, pp. 513-527, 1996.
4. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, Stability of a Set of Matrices: Applications to Automatic Control,'' Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, v.5, n.2, 1997.
5. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, Discrete and Hybrid State System Modeling and Analysis, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, v.5, n.2, 1997.
6. M. Dogruel, Behaviors in Hybrid State Systems, European Journal of Automation, JESA, v.32, n.9-10, December 1998.
7. M. Dogruel, Input Linearization of Nonlinear Systems via Pulse Width Control,'' IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol.48, no. 4, pp. 635-638, April 2003.
8. M. Dogruel, A Method for Concealment of Displayed Data,'' Displays, vol.24, no. 3, pp 97-102, October 2003 (This work appeared in a News Brief in Technology Research News Magazine).
9. M. Onat and M. Dogruel, Fuzzy plus Integral Control of the Effluent Turbidity in Direct Filtration, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, January 2004.
10.Premaratne K., Zhang J. and Dogruel M. Location information aided task-oriented self-organization of ad-hoc sensor systems, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 85-95, February, 2004.
11.M. Doğruel and M. A. Adlı, Hybrid State Approach for Modelling Electrical and Mechanical Systems," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 41, pp. 759-771, 2005.
12.M. A. Adli and M. Dogruel, Modelling and Analysis of an Oscillatory Dynamic System Using the Hybrid State Approach: An Experimental Case, Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 12 (9), pp. 975-993, 2006.
13.M. Tayanc, U. Im, M. Dogruel and M. Karaca, Climate Change in Turkey for the Last Half Century, Climate Change, vol. 94 (3-4), pp. 483-502, June 2009.
14.C. Alacacı and M. Dogruel, Solving a Stability Problem by Polyas Four Steps, International Journal of Electronics, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, vol. 1 (1), pp. 21-30, Feb. 2011
15.M. Dogruel and H.H. Çelik, Harmonic Control Arrays Method With a Real Time Application to Periodic Position Control, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 521-530, May 2011.
16.B.O. Akkoyunlu, M. Dogruel, M. Tayanc and I. Oruc Design and Construction of a Computer Controlled Automatic Sequential Rain Sampler, Biotechmology & Biotecnological Equipment, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 3890-3895, June 2013.
17.M.S. Karbasforooshan, M. Monfared, and M. Dogruel, Application of the Harmonic Control Arrays Technique to Single-Phase Stand-Alone Inverters, IET Power Electronics, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1445-1453, June 2016.
18.I. Oruc, B.O. Akkoyunlu, M. Dogruel and M. Tayanc, Chemical Analysis of Wet Deposition Sequential Samples at Istanbul, Turkey, International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, vol. 10, no. 1, Jan. 2018.
1. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Controllability, Reachability, Stabilizability and State Reduction in Automata,'' Proceedings of 1992 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (Scotland, UK), pp. 192-197, Aug. 1992.
2. S. Drakunov, M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Sliding Mode Control in Hybrid Systems, Proceedings of 1993 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (Chicago, Illinois), pp. 186-189, Aug. 1993.
3. M. Dogruel, S. Drakunov and Ü. Özgüner, ``Sliding Mode Control of Discrete State Systems,'' Proceedings of the 32nd Conference on Decision and Control, (San Antonio, Texas), pp. 1194-1199, Dec. 1993.
4. K. Iqbal, M. Dogruel and H. Hemami, ``Stability of Linearized Robotic and Musculoskeletal Systems with Feedback Delays,'' Proceedings of the 32nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, (San Antonio, Texas), pp. 1623-1624, Dec. 1993.
5. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Discrete State and Hybrid Systems,'' The Third Turkish Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks, (Ankara, Turkey), pp. 215-224, June 1994.
6. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Stability of Hybrid Systems,'' Proceedings of 1994 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (Columbus, Ohio), pp. 129-134, Aug. 1994.
7. M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Modeling and Stability Issues in Hybrid Systems,'' MSI, Hybrid Systems and Autonomous Control Workshop, poster session, (Ithaca, NY), Oct. 1994.
8. Ü. Özgüner and M. Dogruel, ``Multiresolutional Automata Theory,'' 1995 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control Workshop, (Monterey, CA), Aug. 1995.
9. M. Dogruel and Ümit Özgüner, ``Stability of a Set of Matrices: An Application to Hybrid Systems,'' (Invited Paper) Proceedings of 1995 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (Monterey, CA), Aug. 1995.
10.M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Stability of a Set of Matrices: A Control Theoretic Approach,'' Proceedings of the 34th Conference on Decision and Control, (New Orleans, LA), Dec. 1995.
11.M. Dogruel, ``Stability of Multiple Dynamic Systems,'' Proceedings of 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (İstanbul, Turkey), pp. 391-396, July 1997.
12.M. Dogruel, ``Input Linearization of Nonlinear Systems via Pulse Width Control,'' Proceedings of 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, (İstanbul, Turkey), pp. 303-308, July 1997.
13.M. Dogruel, ``Çoklu Dinamikli Sistemlerin Kararlılıgı Üzerine,'' TMMOB Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering 7th. National Congress, (Ankara, Turkey), pp. 399-402, Sept. 1997.
14.M. Dogruel, ``Dogrusal Olmayan Sistemlerde Giriş Dogrusallaştırması,'' TMMOB Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering 7th. National Congress, (Ankara, Turkey), pp. 342-345, Sep. 1997.
15.L. Yenilmez, M. Dogruel and H. Temeltaş, ``Local Positioning of a Mobile Robot using an Ultrasonic Ring,'' 6th International Conference on Advances in Communications and Control, (Corfu, Greece), pp. 203-211, June 1997.
16.M. Dogruel, ``Behaviors in Hybrid State Systems,'' ADPM98 3rd International Conference on Automation of Mixed Processes, (Reims, France), pp. 249-255, Mar. 1998.
17.S. Aydogan, L. Yenilmez and M. Dogruel, ``Flight Simulator via Passive Tracking,'' CCM98 International Conference on Contribution of Cognition to Modelling, (Lyon, France), July 1998.
18.M. Dogruel, ``Hybrid State Systems: as a new system modeling tool for future," Joint meeting of the World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI'98) and the 4th International Conference on Information Systems Analysis and Synthesis (ISAS'98), (Orlando, Florida), July 1998.
19.L. Yenilmez and M. Dogruel, ``Geographical Surface Modeling and Path-Planning for Tactical and Strategic Purposes, NATO RTO Systems Concepts and Integration Panel (SCI) Symposium, Flight in a Hostile Environment, (Solomon Islands, Maryland), RTO-MP-47, paper no. 28, Oct. 1999.
20.M. Dogruel and Ü. Özgüner, ``Hybrid State Modeling and Analysis of Electronic Circuits,'' ADPM2000 4th International Conference on Automation of Mixed Processes: Hybrid Dynamic Systems, (Dortmund, Germany), pp. 217-222, Sept. 2000.
21.J. Zhang, K. Premaratne, M. Dogruel, P. H. Bauer, Task-Oriented Self-Organization of Ad-Hoc Sensor Systems, The first IEEE international conference on sensors, Orlando, Florida, USA, June 11, 2002.
22.V. R. Herath, K. Premaratne, M. Dogruel, P. H. Bauer, Stabilizing Controller Design for Distributed Sensor Networks with Time-Varying Delays, The first IEEE international conference on sensors, Orlando, Florida, USA, June 11, 2002.
23.L. Yenilmez and M. Dogruel, Düşman Bölgesinde Coğrafik Yüzey Modelleme ve Güvenli Uçuş Yolunun Planlanması, SAVTEK 2002, Savunma Teknolojileri Kongresi, ODTÜ, Ankara, Turkey, pp. 151-158, October 24-25, 2002.
24.M. Onat and M. Dogruel, Effluent Turbidity Control in Direct Filtration, 2003 IEEE Conference on Control Applications, Istanbul, Turkey, June 23, 2003.
25.M. A. Adlı and M. Dogruel, Modelling and Analysis of Mechatronic Systems Using Hybrid State System Formulation, Mechatronics 2004, 9th Mechatronics Forum, International Conference, Ankara, Turkey, Agust 30, 2004.
26.M. A. Adlı and M. Dogruel, Utilization of Hybrid State Modeling in Cooperative Control, The 5th International Conference on Cooperative Control and Optimization, Gainesville, Florida, USA, January 20-22, 2005.
27.M. Tayanc, U. Im U., M. Dogruel and M. Karaca, Signal and Trend Analysis of Temperature Series: A Turkish Case, International Conference on Environment: Survival and Sustainability, Lefkoşa, KKTC, February 19-24 2007.
28.M. Tayanc, U. Im U., M. Dogruel and M. Karaca, Climate Change in Turkey: Temporal and Spatial Variability, IUGG XXIV 2007, Earth: Our Changing Planet, Perugia, Italy, July 2-13, 2007.
29.B.O. Akkoyunlu, M. Tayanc, M. Doğruel and I. Oruc, Design and Manufacture of an Automatic Sequential Rain Sampler: Testing with Sub-Events, Proc. of 8th International Scientific Conference on Modern Management of Mine Producing, Geology and Environmental Protection, pp. 637-643, Sofia, Bulgaria, June 16-20, 2008.
30.T. Namas, M. Dogruel, A feasible and accurate technique for determining the time of flight in ultrasonic distance measurements; Proc. of 50th International Symposium ELMAR-2008,pp. 337-340, Zadar, Crotia, September 10-12, 2008.
31.Oruc I., Acar Y.E., Akkoyunlu B.O., Erdogan I., Tayanc M., Dogruel M., Comparison of Wet, Bulk and Dry Deposition Between Urban and Rural Regions of Kirklareli, Turkey, International Conference on Biology, Environment and Chemistry (ICBEC 2011), Volume 24, 118-122, Dubai-UAE, December 2011.
32.M. Dogruel, An Online Measurement System of Transportation Safety and Comfort, 23th Int. Conference Trans&Motauto15, Varna, Bulgaria, June 24-27, 2015.
33.K.M. Erkan, Dogruel, K. Bayat, B. Akkoyunlu, M. Tayanç, E. Balkan, S. Hamamcı, Development of a Digital Output Temperature Probe for Precision Measurements, GRC Transactions, 39, 1069-1072, presented at GRC Annual Meeting, Reno, NV, USA, September 20-23, 2015.
34.M.F. Çelebi and M. Dogruel, Microcontroller Implementation of Harmonic Control Arrays System, 6th International Conference On Systems And Control, 7-9 May 2017.
35.M.F. Çelebi and M. Dogruel, Harmonik Denetim Dizileri Yönteminin Bir Mikrodenetleyici Uygulaması, 25. Sinyal Işleme ve Iletişim Uygulamaları Kurultayı, 15-18 May 2017.
36.M.S. Karbasforooshan, M. Monfared, and M. Dogruel, Indirect control of single-phase active power filters using harmonic control arrays, 2017 Conference on Electrical Power Distribution Networks Conference, Semnan, Iran, 19-20 April 2017.
37.O.F. Sahan, F. Durmaz, V. Azat, E. Gungor, K. Dedeoglu, A. Sisman, M. Dogruel, "An image processing system for detecting production errors on circuit boards and enabling error tracking and reporting based on 2-D barcodes", 26th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 2018.
38.Y Kirkagac and M Dogruel, "Performance criteria based comparative analysis of indoor localization technologies", 26th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 2018.
M. Dogruel, İşaretler ve Sistemler (Signals and Systems) (in Turkish, Not complete)
General Theory of Control, Harmonic Control Arrays, Intelligent Control, Hybrid Dynamical Systems, Nonlinear Systems, Jump Linear Systems, Linear Time Varying Systems, Matrix Set Stability, Sliding Mode Control, Fuzzy Control, Adaptive Control, Robotics, Environmental Control and Automation Systems.
Research on Harmonic Control Arrays
control methodology Harmonic Control Arrays is developed. The Harmonic
Control Array (
Awards and Scholarships
Earned a scholarship from the Ministry of National Education of Turkey for Master and Ph.D. education in the United States, from 1990 to 1995.
1998 Deans Award, School of Engineering, Marmara University.
IEEE Senior Member, elected in February 2003.
Most Innovative Automotive R&D Project Award of Turkey, 2012.
Selected Topics in Control Theory: Harmonic Control Arrays
Linear System Theory
Linear Control Systems
Digital Control Systems
Modern Control Theory
Signals and Systems
Introduction to Digital Signal Processing
Digital Signal Processing
Electrical Circuit Theory
Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
Introduction to Electrical Engineering
Introduction to Scientific and Engineering Computing
Data Acquisition and Control
Analysis and Design of Linear Control Systems
Intelligent Control of Systems
Introduction to Probability and Statistics
Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
Computer Technology for Management Information Systems
Computer Aided Measurement and Control